- A disorder resulting from the action of hormones on the skin’s oil glands (sebaceous glands) and hair follicles, leading to clogged pores and outbreaks of lesions commonly called pimples.
- They occur on face, neck, back, chest, and shoulders.
- Severe acne can lead to scarring of skin.
- Clogging of sebaceous glands by certain aerobic or anaerobic microbes such as Propionibacterium acnes cause pimples.
- Besides overexposure to sun, a diet rich in oil and sugar also leads to acne.
- Acne poses a major cosmetic concern, causes emotional distress and affects the confidence.
COMEDONES AND PUSTULAR ACNE
People of prepubertal age are more vulnerable to this type of acne.
CYSTIC AND NODULOCYSTIC ACNE
Common in all age groups but more in elderly people