A condition in which the skin turns white due to loss of pigment, melanin that gives the skin colour.
- Vitiligo is an autoimmune disorder in which the body's immune cells target and destroy melanocytes in certain areas.
- It can be localised or generalised in nature.
- Tyrosinase enzyme activity, melanin production and its transfer to the top layer of skin decreases.
- People develop the condition prior to age 40.
- About 50% develop vitiligo before age 20.
- It is sometimes inherited and also associated with other medical conditions like thyroid.